MTF 2018 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Why is the MTF 2018 under the theme “Transforming Travel, Transforming Lives”?
Tourism can be an important catalyst in changing people’s lives for the better through mutual understanding. By visiting each other’s communities and exchanging ideas, the world can be a better place, and travel can be a force for good. With MTF 2018, we don’t just want to attach a theme to the annual forum, but we want to live it. By visiting and engaging with the local communities in the eight ethnic tribal villages, the delegates will be able to interact with the local people, while the local people will be able to interact with visitors from all over the world.
- What does it mean when you say “MTF 2018 is inclusive”?
For MTF 2018, we decided to be as inclusive as possible and include as many small businesses in being a host for the Mekong Tourism Forum, in order to make the destination the venue, and to make the conference as experiential as possible. That way, also the hosting is shared, and people are not constrained to being only in one conference venue of the period of the event. This approach could become model for other smaller towns without big conference facilities to host events by businesses partnering and forming a consortia. As such, MTF 2018 embraces the theme “Transforming Travel – Transforming Lives” by experimenting with a new conference theme of hosting the actual sessions together with the local communities in their ethnic villages, and have the local people participate and be part of the experience. That way, we believe the discussions can be enriched, and the experience be a memorable one.
- What is the “MTF 2018 Eight Thematic Session Concept”?
There are 8 tracks with eight ethnic villages in Nakhon Phanom. We want these sessions to be organic, highly interactive, and engaging. To ensure some consistency of all the sessions, we have developed a model that is aimed to position the GMS as a competitive tourism destination. The components of the model are: Positioning, Promotion, Product Development, Partnerships, and Policy. We aim to summarize each session in our Post MTF Report. We tested the model the first time in Danang, Vietnam at MTF2015. Feel free to download the report: http://www.mekongtourism.org/mekong-tourism-marketing-workshop-2015/. All sessions are listed at http://www.mekongtourismforum.org/index.php/sessions/ as well as the mobile app.
- What is the role of the “Session Facilitator”?
The goal of the facilitator is not to dominate the discussion but to stimulate discussions. A quick intro presentation that limits or completely avoids any sales pitches or company introductions is something we strongly encourage. Facilitators may invite subject matter experts to add some real life examples, to further stimulate discussion.
- How do I get to the main MTF venue (Nakhon Phanom University Building)?The host country will provide shuttle vans to transfer from/to the official hotels to/from the morning/evening venues. The transportation schedule of the vans will be posted in the lobby of the host hotels.
- What are the official hotels of MTF 2018?There are 8 official hotels. Please see the complete list in the MTF 2018 Program Guide or at: http://www.mekongtourismforum.org/index.php/location/accommodation/
- Where can I register, and pick up my badge for MTF 2018?
Delegates can register for MTF 2018 at MTF counters at Nakhon Phanom University.
- How do I register for the Break-through Sessions?
Registration is open online at MekongTourismForum.org. There is a charge of Thai Baht 1,200 for the Village Experience Sessions.
- How do I get to my village to attend the thematic session I registered for?The host country will provide transportation from the Nakhon Phanom University after the morning sessions on June 28th.
- Where is lunch served on June 28th?Instead of having one big catered lunch, we decided to incorporate eight ethnic villages, and let delegates experience the local cuisine. This is not also more experiential, but is also aligned to our mandate to be highly inclusive. Before starting first session venue, the lunch will be served at the villages. So please be sure that you wear the correct your respective ethnic shirts for your registered track.
- Where and when is the evening functions on June 28th after the Village Experience, and how do I get there?
Delegates will go straight from the ethnic villages to the evening function on June 28 for the MTF Food Festival. If we were to drop delegates off at the various hotels, we would lose too much time, and the evening events would not be able to start on time. We do recognize that some people would like to go back to the hotels, to rest and refresh. Unfortunately, from a logistics standpoint, this is very challenging. However, delegates that do want to go back to their respective hotel to get changed or refreshed, are welcome to do so on their own.
- What is the dress code on June 28th?
For the Morning session, we recommend delegates who have their village experience registration and have received their own ethnic village shirts the day before, are recommended to wear before leaving to the session in order to make sure that you are eligible to attend the village experience.
- Where can I get water?
This year, we have joined the “Refill Not Landfill” campaign to reduce the plastic waste in the region. Every delegate will receive a voucher to pick up a ‘MTF 2018 limited edition’ refillable stainless steel water bottle. You can refill the bottle at all session venues, the Nakhon Phanom University Building, your official hotels, and TAT Nakhon Phanom building. Please refrain from using any plastic water bottles, and make a difference.
- Is there WIFI available?
WIFI is provided at most of the session venues, and all the official hotels. However, the best way is to get a local SIM Card. Internet is usually faster and more reliable via a local SIM card. Local SIM cards are handed out to international delegates.
- How and where can I get a local SIM card?
At arrival at the Nakhon Phanom Airport, there will be a desk, giving out free pre-loaded SIM Cards for MTF 2018 delegates. Additional top-ups are at your own expense. If you would like to choose another Telecom provider, you are free to do so at your own expense.
- How do I download the MTF 2018 Mobile App?
This year, MTCO is partnering with ZipEvent to develop our own Mekong Tourism Forum App. When people arrive at the airport in Nakhon Phanom, it is easy to get your own SIM Card from various providers, such as AIS, TRUE, and DTAC. Anybody who has registered on mekongtourismforum.org via ZipEvent can download the app and login with his or her respective credentials from the registration. You will get an email, but just in case:
Search Apple or Android App store for “ZipEvent”, and download the app
Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dreamio.enjoin&hl=th) and Apple iOS (https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/zipevent/id936050620?mt=8)
- Register your profile
- Open app and search for “Mekong Tourism Forum” (via Explore menu at the bottom left)
- Enter “Mekong Tourism Forum” and login with your credentials by visiting your profile.
- Update your profile by adding your photo, bio, etc.
- Explore the app by checking out the agenda, sponsors, as well as connect with other delegates (via People)
- Can I join a MTF 2018 Post Tour if I haven’t registered previously?
Please check on www.MekongTourismForum.org under Post Tours about the availability, and register directly online. There will also be tour desks the mornings of June 28th from 8:30-11:30 am at the Nakhon Phanom University to assist you. There are a total of six tours that are available for MTF 2018 delegates. Information is also available in the MTF 2018 Guide and the MTF 2018 Mobile App.
- Will there be airport transfers back to KOP Airport, and if yes at what time and from where?
There will be a schedule that will pick up MTF 2018 delegates from official hotels at set times on June 29th and on June 30th.
- What is the #hashtag to MTF 2018 to share my photos, videos, and posts on social media?
We have also developed an entire page on Nakhon Phanom on MekongMoments.com, listing over 300 businesses including all the MTF venues. MTF 2018 is set-up as an Experience. Please tag #MekongMoments on the various social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, WeChat), and add the official hashtag for MTF which is #MekongTourismForum.
- Are there MTF 2018 web banners I can add to my website and blog?
Please help promote MTF 2018 on your blog, website, social media, and newsletters. You can download banners at http://mekongtourismforum.org/index.php/category/news-article/news/
- What is the Mekong Tourism Contributor Program, and how can I join?
Passionate tourism experts active in the GMS can join our new Mekong Tourism Contributor program to contribute articles as well as documents for our e-library. Contributors receive a dedicated personal page with their bio, links to their website and social media, and collection of their contributed content. As part of our new Mekong Tourism Contributor Program, which consists of individual Mekong Tourism Experts and Mekong Travel Storytellers, as well as Mekong Tourism Partners (organizations), we also would like to establish Expert Groups in various subject matters – from Food Tourism, River Cruise Tourism, Adventure Tourism, Aviation, Hotel Investment, etc. The Ethnic village sessions at MTF2018 are a wonderful opportunity for passionate experts to create these expert’s groups to communicate and collaborate. More information and application is at: http://www.mekongtourism.org/contributors/
- How can I get engaged with Mekong Tourism initiatives and programs and stay up-to-date?
Easiest is to regularly visit MekongTourism.org. Please sign up to our weekly e-newsletter at http://www.mekongtourism.org/e-newsletter/ and follow us on social media (@TourismMekong).